As of July 1, 2019, employers in Montgomery County are subject to a minimum wage increase. The updated Minimum Wage notice, which now has a revision date of 6/2019 (previously 5/2019), includes wage rates for 2019 and 2020 based on the size of an employer’s business.
While the minimum wage in Prince George’s County won’t be increasing until January 1, 2021, new information has been added to the Minimum Wage notice that must be posted by all employers. The updated notice now has a revision date of 6/2019.
New Minimum Wage Requirements in Montgomery County
Effective July 1, 2019
- For businesses with 51 or more employees, the minimum wage increases to $13.00 per hour.
- For businesses with 50 or fewer employees, the minimum wage increases to $12.50 per hour.
- Employers who have just 1 employee will now be subject to the county minimum wage.
Effective July 1, 2020
- For businesses with 51 or more employees, the minimum wage increases to $14.00 per hour.
- For businesses with 11 to 50 employees, the minimum wage increases to $13.25 per hour.
- For businesses with 10 or fewer employees, the minimum wage increases to $13.00 per hour.
New Minimum Wage Requirements in Prince George’s County
Through December 31, 2020
- The current minimum wage rate of $11.50 will remain in effect, regardless of employer size, until the end of 2020.
Effective January 1, 2021
- The state minimum wage will apply to all employers.
New Requirements for Both Counties
Wage Statement Change
Restaurant owners in Montgomery County and Prince George’s County who utilize a tip credit are now required to provide employees with a written or electronic wage statement for each pay period.
Minimum Wage for Minors
Employees in Montgomery County and Prince George’s County who are under the age of 18 must earn at least 85% of their county’s minimum wage. Previously, this requirement applied to employees under 20 years of age.
Overtime Only Exemptions
Seasonal amusement and recreational establishments that meet certain criteria have been added to the “Overtime Only Exemptions” list.
Compliance Made Easy!
If you have not already done so, we encourage you to order our City/County Poster 1-Year Plan (Montgomery Co.) so that you will automatically receive the poster for your county as soon as it is available. And because we provide free poster updates for mandatory changes, no matter how many occur during the plan year, you can always count on Poster Compliance Center to keep your business in compliance!