Q: Will the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) notice on the federal poster be updated with the new laws regarding discrimination and affirmative action?
A: Yes. The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) will update the federal EEO poster with the following new laws for federal contractors:
- Sexual orientation and gender identity: Executive Order (E.O.) 13672 prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Effective April 9, 2015.
- Affirmative action: Requires affirmative action for the disabled (under Section 503) and for veterans (under VEVRAA). These regulations already went into effect March 24, 2014.
- Pay transparency: E.O. 13665 prohibits discrimination against workers who discuss their pay. Regulations have not been finalized yet.
Q: How soon will the EEO poster change?
A: It is anticipated that the poster will be updated by the April 9th effective date of E.O. 13672. It is not known whether the other two changes will be made at the same time.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and publish a federal poster as soon as the DOL issues the official version of the updated poster.
Q: How can I get more information about these changes?
A: There are two easy ways:
- Read our Labor Law Posters Blog for the latest news.
- Sign up for our free Labor Law Update Notifications and we’ll keep you posted.
Still confused? No worries! We will keep track of these changes for you and get you what you need when you need it. Don’t forget to watch for future blog posts about the EEO poster.