Q: What are my labor law poster requirements?
A: Labor law poster requirements are set by federal, state, and local government agencies. Specific posting requirements vary based on a range of factors; for example, the nature of an employer’s business, the business size, the business location, and the languages spoken by the employees.
Q: How should I handle labor law posters for remote employees?
A: Businesses with remote workers have legal obligations to provide equal access to compliance posters, regardless of location. This can become a challenge for certain job sites such as mall kiosks or home offices. Poster Compliance Center provides two solutions for businesses with workers—Virtual Compliance Guide and eComply. The Virtual Compliance Guide (VCG) offers compliance posters in a digital format that can be conveniently viewed on a computer or mobile device. Digital postings, however, are not a replacement for physical posters, which must be visible at every workplace. Poster Compliance Center’s eComply is a downloadable and printable version of labor law notices that will satisfy posting requirements when displayed properly.
Q: Do I need to update my labor law posters?
A: Yes! If you’re in charge of managing labor law posters for your company, it is crucial that you maintain year-round poster compliance by keeping labor law posters up-to-date.
It may be tempting to simply purchase a new state and federal labor law poster every January, but there are two key problems with this:
- Mandatory poster updates don’t always happen in January. Poster updates can occur throughout the year. In fact, some government agencies issue postings later than the effective dates of the laws they pertain to. In this scenario, it is possible to purchase a poster in January that will become obsolete by the time it arrives.
- Your poster may not require updating at all. Some labor laws are updated frequently, while others don’t change for years. Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell when an update or new notice will be issued. Investing in a trusted annual labor law poster service, such as a 1-Year Compliance Plan, will not only provide updates when they are required but prevent you from falling for poster scams when they are not.
Q: Are labor law posters free?
Simply put, yes. Federal, state, and local government agencies publish labor law posters in a free, downloadable format. However, maintaining poster compliance year-round is no simple task because labor laws change frequently.
Employers have a legal requirement to stay on top of new or amended labor laws and update their posters when necessary. This task requires vigilance in tracking labor law changes that apply to your business.
While downloading and printing compliance posters from government agencies is free, the cost of laminating posters, or putting them behind glass, can become significant. Plus, when you factor in the time it takes to research laws and download the correct posters, you will likely discover that streamlining the process by ordering from a trusted poster compliance provider is the best option.
Here’s a quick recap of what we’ve covered:
- Labor law poster requirements vary based on the specifics of your business.
- You must supply remote employees with some form of labor law posters.
- You are required to update your compliance posters when laws change.
- Labor laws can change at any time.
- A worry-free poster service like the 1-Year Compliance Plan can help you stay up-to-date with these changes.
If you have another question we haven’t covered here, please let us know. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!